Sunday, May 6, 2012

Dare to Dream



Last week our team had the opportunity to "teach" English at a village school. Since we had no time to prep, it became a time of just trying to talk with the students. On the 5th class of the day, I was sitting in a row talking with a few girls when a girl named "M" came late and sat down next to me. She was so excited to be able to practice her English. She asked me a few questions and then I asked her about school and what she was going to do after she graduates this year. She looked at me with sadness in her eyes and tells me how badly she wants to go to university to become a teacher. "M" then told me a tale that is all to familiar in places like this.  University is too expensive and her family barely makes any money. Her parents are putting a lot of pressure on her to drop out of school and work. They told her she either has to get really high scores and get a scholarship or she had to go find work to help the family. She had tears in her eyes and she explained the stress and the pressure she was facing and how badly she wanted something different for her than her siblings that have gone before her. We talked about a few other things and then she quietly asked me if she could get my advice on something. She struggles in her broken English to tell me about a guy who she met on Facebook wants to meet her to give her a gift. She doesn't want to meet him, but her friends tell her she would be mean if she did not receive his gift. She said she just didn't feel right about it since she doesn't know anything about him. Now, I am here learning about sex trafficking, so the first thing I think of is this guy is trying to lure her in to be trafficked. I hope I am wrong, but regardless here is a girl who is very vulnerable and has dreams, but no real way to obtain them. Maybe this guy has good intentions, but I am leery and worried for her in this fragile place in her life.  I tried my best to speak value and hope into her life and to tell her to listen to that little voice inside when it tells you something isn't right. I then explained through a translator what prayer is and if it would be okay if I prayed that God would help her in all of these situations and to provide a way for her to go to university. She looked at me with astonishment and with tears in her eyes she said, "You would do that for me?" It was such a powerful moment for me to see the desperation of wanting good things and hoping for a better future. I gave her my email and I hope to hear from her, but I have to trust that God will make a way where there appears to be no way. I never realized before that I took dreaming for granted. How even my biggest dreams are probably more attainable then her getting to school. Yet, I was impacted by her tenacity, dedication, sacrifice, and willingness to endure hardships so go after what she wants even if she won't ever get there. That is the sign of a true dreamer. I need to be more like her!

No comments:

Post a Comment